Re: [Mgs] UK registration numbers

To: "David F. Darby" <ddarby@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] UK registration numbers
From: "Richard Gosling" <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:00:39 +0100
Well, the links I sent earlier are still valid.  The final letter B
indicates the number was issued in 1964.  The second and third letters, AR,
indicate that it was issued in the county of Hertfordshire.  The D and the 9
are random.  The numbers I think tend to be issued sequentially, so a low
number like 9 would suggest it was issued quite early on in the year.

The story seems a little suspect, since MGAs ceased production in July '62,
although it's possible the car sat around unregistered for a year and a half
- maybe everyone was so excited about the MGB that old stock MGAs were hard
to shift.  It probably wouldn't have been legal to transfer that number
plate to an older MGA, since that would have made the car appear newer than
it was (although I don't know for sure whether that law was in place in
'64).

You can get number plate shops in the UK to make up any number plate you
like, in a variety of styles that include the old-style white-on-black or
silver-on-black.  I think there's some rule that says you need to prove you
own a car registered with that number (so you can't just buy a number plate
with someone elses number and have all your speeding fines sent to them!),
but they might waive that restriction if it's being sent to a foreign
customer.

Richard & Sammy