Re: [Mgs] Fwd: Have a lovely and safe weekend, everyone.

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fwd: Have a lovely and safe weekend, everyone.
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:59:26 +0930
On 19/04/2008, at 5:17 PM, Eric Erickson wrote:

> Yes, someone hit me up the rear when I had to brake fairly hard (but
> not hard enough to lock up my tires) to stop behind a car that slowed
> dramatically in the middle of the road.  Luckily we had only just
> taken off from traffic lights so weren't going all that fast - but I
> had no-where to escape to with traffic on my left and right.

Just a quick update for y'all on this.

1. My insurance company has looked after me again - very quick to
take my report over the phone on the Saturday and then text me on the
Monday morning to let me know that the claim has been lodged without
me doing anything else and I will have no penalty or anything to
pay.  You know that SHOULD be the case when someone runs up your...
back end ... but it is nice to get that assurance so quickly and in
writing.

2. My insurance let me have my choice of repairer and only needs the
one quote (they send an assessor out to check it out anyway).  This
was done on Monday after I dropped the car off at the repairer on
Thursday (Friday was a holiday here).

3. They have approved the quote and I should have my car back in one
piece next week.

All good news but the amount of the quote they accepted even caught
me a little by surprise.

With the price you can BUY an MGB in the States I guess you might be
surprised that the damage bill came to $AU4500.00!!!

I hope they do a GREAT job with the repairs but I still imagine it is
going to hurt any final re-sale value of the car in some way.

Should I have insisted on any "bog"/filler requirements before they
did the quote or do you think I can now?  I don't want the car
patched up to "look nice" in the short term only to have it rot after
a few years!

Thanks guys,

Eric
'68 MGB MkII