Re: [Mgs] aluminum hood gauge

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] aluminum hood gauge
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 14:57:59 -0700
Ooh, man... It's pretty obvious why the filler approach failed (no chance).
But I am rather dubious that you can beat it out smoothly. I kind of doubt
that an old master panel beater from Brewster or Scaglietti could get a wave
out of the MGB bonnet -- it's too thin, and the original curve is held under
tension. It would be like trying to straighten a beer can, and one where you
couldn't access a lot of the back side. Likewise, I think patching would
also be doomed. It would probably cause a whole series of wrinkles where you
welded.

A little dimple from a golf ball, maybe, but a big dent -- fuggedaboudit.
Unless you could separate the outer skin from the inner frame...

I gave up on those aluminum bonnets -- they are like aluminum pie tins: use
once and recycle. Even the steel ones are pretty flimsy, but at least you
might have a fighting chance of straightening them out.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149