Re: [Mgs] Coil failure

To: "Stuart MacMillan" <macgroup@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Coil failure
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:51:05 +0100
It happens, but only after many years.  Originally the spades were riveted to
the coil and over time these work loose and start giving an intermittent
contact.  This (as well as other causes) makes the tach swing wildly as the
engine misfires or drops to zero instantly if it cuts right out.  Later coils
have studs and nuts which overcomes the problem.  Broken turns is also
possible but I think this is more rare, as long as you are using the correct
resistance coil for your wiring.

PaulH.