Re: [Mgs] ring gear removal

To: <dave@camptownshakers.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] ring gear removal
From: "riverside" <riverside@cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:59:15 -0500
I change ring gears quite often. What I do is drill a 5/16" hole into the
side of the ring  as deep as possible without drilling into the lip on the
flywheel, then hacksaw between the teeth into the drilled hole. I do two
holes 180 degrees apart. Then comes the large chisel and BFH. A couple good
wacks ( hit it like you mean it ) and it is off.
    I then deburr the ring mounting surface, making sure it is completely
smooth. Then I'll throw it into the freezer for at least two hours. Take the
new ring gear and deburr it also. Then put it into the oven at 350 degrees
for about one to one and a half hours.YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAT THE RING GEAR
RED HOT AS THAT WOULD REMOVE THE TEMPER FRON THE METAL!  The proper
tempurature is when it just starts to turn blue. Set up a  couple of wood
blocks  to set the fly wheel onto so it won't rock.  Take the fly wheel from
the freezer and set it on the wood blocks. Wearing your heavy gloves and
with two large pliers, take the ring gear from the oven and set it into
place on the flywheel. Go turn off the oven and close the freezer door. Have
a beer . The flywheel will then be ready to install
     Two hints. Do a dry run with the ring gear and pliers.
     MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RING GEAR TURNED IN THE PROPER DIRECTION. If you
don't , then you get more practice doing everything over again.
Ron