[Mgs] MGB RIP

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] MGB RIP
From: derek@vandivere.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:27:05 +0200 (CEST)
So, after a weekend of working on the damn B to try to get it more
reliable (basically, fixed the wiring in fan number two, replaced the
coolant, as well as some other minor stuff), it broke down on me last
week.

Got to work (100km) fine, on the way back started running hot so I pulled
over. Added some coolant, waited a bit, then it wouldn't go into gear.
Called the roadside service, he pumped some oil into the clutch system,
got another five km, and gave up. The temperature gauge never pegged, but
I was getting some valve clatter. Waited another half hour for a tow, then
decided to try starting it up - lots of valve clatter and lots of
beautiful white smoke.

Mechanic's taking off the cylinder head tomorrow to see if it's
salvageable - otherwise, I guess I have a lot of '78 B parts for sale in
Amsterdam...

Now I just want to know what the hell I did to the car. I'm sure it's my
fault somehow, just not sure. As you can imagine, I've been reading the
"MGBs are reliable" thread with some irony.

Think I'll shout a few more obscenities now...

Derek