Re: [Mgs] Stoked.. err stroked!

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Stoked.. err stroked!
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 00:29:29 +0930
On 04/07/2008, at 6:27 AM, Larry Daniels wrote:

> Strokers are great for the muscle car crowd because they give them
> that
> low-end torque that gives them that kick in the seat of the pants
> when they
> take off -- and makes it easier to make a brilliant display of
> smoking their
> tires -- as they are so wont to do.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!  :-)

> Road racers live at the other end of the rpm spectrum.

OK, I am taking all of this in (really, I am) so I have another
question, what is killing the top end rpm-ability (tech term) and is
there a way to solve this?  Is it a "breathing" issue?  Is this a job
for head-work or I am I trying to fix an issue that is solved by not
going there in the first place?

I will suggest that my home (and therefore most frequented) track
that is the home of all events for the annual series I compete in is
mostly short squirts and corners.  Even the longest straight sees me
in fourth for only a number of seconds and I certainly don't run near
the top of that gear,

Most of the time and most of each lap is spent braking hard and then
accelerating out of the corner, which is where the 'B frustrates me
because it certainly rakes a little while to get up to speed after
dropping down so slow.

What I am getting at, of course, is that I really am looking for
bottom end torque and even some "kick in the seat of the pants" take-
off to get me out of those corners.  So, can I get me a little of
both with the bottom end grunt AND some long legs on the straight?

Maybe someone can analyse the track from this video of mine and offer
suggestions (no, I really am not trying to justify using this stroker
crank for justification's sake...  the last thing I want is to end up
with the last result of one of my "experiments" that resulted in me
going a second slower - that would just kill me).

Free expert advice is ALWAYS welcome.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia