Re: [Mgs] Advice needed regarding welder

To: mgs@autox.team.net, rolindsay@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Advice needed regarding welder
From: mark.jones@exxonmobil.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:17:03 -0400
I'll make the same recommendation as Paul.  I have the Hobart Handler 135
(essentially the same as the 140 just an older model), which is a 120V
welder, and just finished this spring restoring the body of my Spitfire
(floors, sills, rear fender, etc) using this unit.  I find it to be a very
easy unit to operate.  I have also welded 1/8" steel with this machine with
ease.

Please get a gas unit, it makes for a much cleaner weld than using flux
core wire, a lot less spatter to clean up off of your sheet metal.
Although flux core comes in handy welding on a frame where you might not be
able to get the metal perfectly clean (flux core will weld through light,
surface corrosion), or you welding outside in the wind.

I agree with Paul when he says that the benefit of buying a
Hobart/Miller/Lincoln is that parts an service will be available for years
to come.

I have seen the 140 on sale at TSC for a reasonable price.

Mark

From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Mgs] Advice needed regarding welder, no other content

Hello Friends,

I am in the market for a welder.  I need a tool that will weld sheet metal
as well as structural steel on a
car.  I don't need to weld anything but steel so fancy gas units aren't
needed.

So what KIND of welder (and current) would you recommended for the jobs I
have described above? Advice appreciated.

rick lindsay