Re: [Mgs] What size speaker fits the MGB doors?

To: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@comcast.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] What size speaker fits the MGB doors?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:54:54 -0700
Bob:

There are a number of ways to get around this. Auto stereo shops have
"bass blockers" which are capacitors designed to limit the bass going to
the speakers.

The best fix, which I've seen on other lists is to source an under seat
sub woofer from a Subaru. From what I can find out, this will fit even
under an MGB seat and provide lots of bass feel without straining the
door speakers.

Put bass blockers on the door speakers, then mount a pair of surface
mount tweeters up high to get a lot better clarity.

Just a thought.

I was able to cut out the original 4" factory speaker holes and install
5" speakers on my TR8 which used the same speakers as on the late MGB.
The speaker diameter and depth are critical, so you can't go with a
really high output long throw speaker that has a big magnet.

Kelvin.