[Mgs] Back to Earth....

To: mg-mgb@yahoogroups.com, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Back to Earth....
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
Well, didn't meet my goal of driving the car around the block today.

I bled the brakes without issue, although it took me a couple of wacks are each
corner to get the air out. The driver's side
rear brake isn't real strong, so I will have to see what's up with that. But I
figured I had enough braking power for a spin
around the block.

Took the tires out to fill them up, then put 'em on and lowered the car. One
last check of oil, coolant, dashpot oil, and then
my sons, wife, daughter and several of my son's friend's came out to watch the
big event! Of course, the car wouldn't start!
It would  crank then make a loud 'clicking' sound and stop. Only thing I could
figure was that the fan belt was a bit loose
so the alternator was slipping. So I tightened the belt, and sure enough, it
started right up! So we unhooked the jumper cables,
but when I stepped on the brake, the idle dropped to almost nothing. When I
released the brakes, it jumped up again but
eventually the car stalled. When we tried to jump it again, we again got that
half-crank then loud clicking.

At that point, I decided to call it a day. I am going to get the battery
charged tomorrow, and also change the battery clamp
(which has a crack in it so it is a bit loose) and then, once I know the
charging system is good, going to try it again.

 Dan D
Central NJ USA
'76 MGB Tourer
'65 MGB Tourer (Project)