Re: [Mgs] How many miles should a generator brush set last?

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>,simon.d.matthews@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] How many miles should a generator brush set last?
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:31:15 -0400
There is a bod who makes solid state voltage regulators.  He is going
to make one for my 1955 Aston and he seems to have done an awful lot
of these units - each customed to the gen/alt and fits inside the
original core .  I had hoped he would come on the British Car Cottage
Industries web site (www.britcot.com) but he has not done so yet.  He
may be on next week

At 04:12 PM 8/26/2008, Bob Howard wrote:
>Simon,
>    One set in my TD lasted 25M miles or so, the second about 35M.
>    Easy to check the things, though, so do that first.  What you are
>looking for is clearance between the spring and the guide of the brush.
>If the spring is touching the guide, the brush is worn down to the point
>that it's not getting good contact.
>    The procedure for adjusting the regulator seems intimidating, but it
>works just as described in the workshop manual.
>Bob
>
>On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:07:52 -0700 "Simon Matthews"
><simon.d.matthews@gmail.com> writes:
> > My car  (MGA with original generator/regulator) is clearly not
> > charging the battery, so I need to investigate the charging system.
> >
> > It may be dirty contacts in the regulator, or it may be worn out
> > brushes in the generator. In order to know which to investigate
> > first,
> > it would be useful if I knew the expected life of a set of brushes
> > in
> > a generator.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Simon
>Click here for top quality Spyware removers.
>http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mEzAnTwSJBS2qP6RBdfo1IGIYgZk8YUkUDFxS1VHgjLLULT/
>
>http://www.team.net/archive

Regards
Barrie