Re: [Mgs] ZDDP in oil

To: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>, Mike Duvall
Subject: Re: [Mgs] ZDDP in oil
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:26:37 -0400
Going back over the many cars I have bought I have never been
told,advised, manualised or similar to use break in oil. This applies
to rebuilt engines as well.  The only thing I have been advised by
trusty engine people in the trade to do is.....take it easy for a
while  - no immediate broom broom !!

At 11:21 AM 9/10/2008, Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:
>    This whole issue torques my jaws!  I've been building engines for
>more years than I care to remember and never used "break-in oil."  I
>always used good quality oil and let the engine tolerances dictate what
>viscosity to pour in there.  Fer instance, if I did a ring,valve and
>bearing rebuild and could put std bearings back in, the engine didn't
>need thinner oil than usual.  Shux, it came out of there after the first
>thousand miles, anyhoo.  New rebuilds with turned cranks and rebored
>holes built to tight tolerances got thinner oil to begin with.  Sheesh,
>break-in oil, for sooth.
>
>    I know it's a different world today, ON NEW CARS, as far as which
>oils come in them.  However, I bought a Ford P/U last year and it came
>with a 5W-20 dino/syn blend in the engine.  The same stuff went back in
>there on the first oil change.  No dedicated "break-in" oil.  That
>stuff's a scam, IMO.
>
>    As far as engineering studies go, I believe you have to consider the
>source.  IOW, who funded the study?  If oil provider "A" funded the
>study are the engineers going to bite the hand that signs their
>paycheck?  Gawd, it's all smoke and mirrors.
>
>    My B gets the Valvoline, mainly because it's available locally.
>
>    CR
>

>Mike Duvall wrote:
> > A lot of older, motorcycle, diesel (CI-4) and racing oils have ZDDP
> > along with a number of brands. Some people worry about diesel oils
> > but some meet diesel and gas standards.  Royal Purple sells a break
> > in oil and then recommends standard oils.
> >
> > I personally am not worried about it the issue.  (I suspect the
> > problems are really from using synthetic instead of break in oil)
>
>http://www.team.net/archive

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson