Re: [Mgs] Competition suspension

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Competition suspension
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:46:03 +0930
On 22/09/2008, at 11:13 AM, Norm wrote:

> See: http://mgclub.homestead.com/files/photo34.htm & attached for
> some pix of my street & track-driven MGB.  While none are in hard
> braking as yours, you can see how low it is in 2002.  That was
> achieved with 1-inch lower springs with medium stiffness, lowered
> spindles, leaves removed from the stock rear springs & h.d. shock
> valves all around & 7/8" front sway bar.  Car handled extremely well
> on both short tracks like Lime Rock & long ones like Watkins Glen.
> And, was quite comfortable on the street.
>
> You need to stiffen the front & lower the back while keeping the
> back relatively soft. A British magazine did a comparison test a
> number of years ago & found that stiff rear suspension & rear sway
> bars did NOT help cornering.
>
> Admittedly, I compromised on ride because this car was also my daily
> driver.  But, very few cars could out-corner it on the track.

Thanks for that.

I am always a little concerned about just how "stiff" I make my
suspension and with the recent addition "anti-tramp" traction-rods and
tube shock rear suspension I thought I had just about "tamed" her
while still leaving the car street driveable, but maybe these pictures
tell a different story.

http://www.erickson.on.net/mgracing/mallala/

I guess the next step is to lower her further as you suggest (although
the speed humps may take a beating as I have already flattened some of
the low exhaust when straddling track kerbing).

I have one more track event this year but I don't know if I will have
time to do the suspension before then.

I will let you know how I go.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of
Picture 36.png]
Eric
'68 MGB
Adelaide, South Australia