Re: [Mgs] Castrol GTX 20-50W for Classics

To: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Castrol GTX 20-50W for Classics
From: Charles Hill <chillmog@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 23:12:49 -0500
Thats a very good point.  In all the hysteria to add ZDDP to oil, I
think a lot of people have overlooked a couple of studies (sorry but I
don't have the references any more) the too much ZDDP can be as bad if
not worse than too little.  This is referring to engines past the
critical flat tappet cam break-in period.  I would be extremely cautious
about dumping additional ZDDP in the oil until I know for sure how much
was in there in the first place.

My gut feeling is that this ZDDP thing is going to be a lot like the
hysteria when the first started taking lead out of gasoline.  Sure there
were (and still are) some problems but nothing at all like the predicted
dire consequences.  People will eventually learn to cope.

Regards,
Charles Hill