Re: [Mgs] starter relay

To: tsouthworth70@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] starter relay
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:21:19 -0400
Tuck,
   What the relay does is to be activated by a small amount of current
from igntion/starter switch and its small wires to switch a much larger
current on larger wires to go to whatever needs the larger current.
   Chances are, though, with the situation you describe, it's not the
relay or solenoid at fault, but the connection at the battery.  The
Roxter described that in his reply.  It's a nuisance when that happens,
thanks to awkward access and its happening sometimes for no apparent
reason. I had a cable/battery connection that went bad regularly despite
frequent use of battery brush and dilectric grease. A new battery and new
cable solved the problem.
   Relays tend to fail silently and if the solenoid is chattering, which
it seems to be, solenoid is receiving electricity via the relay.
Bob

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:55:37 -0400 Tuck Southworth
<tsouthworth70@hotmail.com> writes:
> All,
> can someone tell me just exactly what the starter relay does.  And
> how can I
> tell if its not working.
> My 70 B will not start despite a new battery, a rebuilt starter and
> solenoid.
> All I get when I turn
> the key is a clicking noise which before I replaced it I would have
> guessed
> was a bad solenoid.
> I've checked all the wires and connections so I'm thinking it's the
> relay.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Tuck
Get the shot you need with a discreet new spy camera. Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3m1EqvDT25JhvsuQcZ3l7Sz6tPGmaj5vJkNvkHuGbj9BOHdj/