[Mgs] Cleaning aluminum

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>, IPOG <ponton@yahoogroups.com>, sl
Subject: [Mgs] Cleaning aluminum
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:11:15 -0800 (PST)
Hello Friends,

Merry Christmas and all the other salutations of the season!

I write to you this Christmas Eve to talk about engine restoration.
Specifically, I want to ask about cleaning aluminum.  I have always used cloth,
steel wool or ScotchBrite lubricated with WD40 or lacquer thinner and I like
the results.  However, the finish does not look 'new'.  I'd like to know a
technique to get that really clean white-aluminum finish of freshly cast
aluminum.  I've tried media blasting but the shop I visited used steel balls
not glass, plastic or shells.  The result was a dull gray finish that I didn't
like.  I ended up painting the part with 'Cast Coat Aluminum' engine paint - a
sad, second-class solution, if attractive.

So today I ask; How does one get that 'new part' aluminum finish?

best regards,

rick
'08 M-B C300
'03 L-R Discovery