[Mgs] Reality, was:Oil Article

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Reality, was:Oil Article
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 05:36:54 -0800 (PST)
I guess a good question to ask Eric is; How often do you rebuild the engine?

Some might argue that an engine needs to only last until the end of the victory
lap.  We must be careful to not mix purposes, apples and oranges.

And more importantly (and this will get me in trouble), we're comparing new
precision machines to MGs and Triumphs.  That's like comparing Intel quad-cores
to VIC20s.  Our old MG and Triumph engines, while we love them for their
simplicity, are little more than farm implement power supplies.  Their
manufacturing tolerances are loose and compensated for with heavy robustness
and wearing-in.  This whole thread started with a set of galled lifter faces.
That all but NEVER happens with modern engines.  And its not differences in
oil.  Its differences in materials and design.  We have to face it.  No matter
how much we love our old British hardware, its just old-school machinery.
That's what I love about it!

rick