Re: [Mgs] Setting Toe-In

To: nsippel@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Setting Toe-In
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:12:19 -0500
Norm,
  Another way to do this is to support the front suspension control arms
so weight of the car is on them, remove tires, then do the measuring with
your aluminum bars attached to the brake drums/discs.
  A problem with this is that unless you unfasten and re-fasten the
aluminum bars during the process, you won't get a true 180 degree
measurement that is parallel to road surface.   If the bars are 15/20
degrees off horizontal, how much effect would there be on the toe-in? I
do not know how to calculate this, but suspect that it is so small that
it may be ignored. Others may know better.
  The trusty piece of string is surprisingly accurate too. Although the
tires appear to bulge differently, when I did it this way on my TD last
summer there was such a small difference when various tire front & rear
tires were turned to different positions that I thought my measurements
faulty. Took it to alignment shop and they said that there was no
adjustment needed to the toe-in.
Bob

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:32:14 -0500 "Norm" <nsippel@mindspring.com> writes:
> Seeking suggestions for easiest way to measure toe-in accurately
> without professional equipment.  I'm currently using 2 pieces of
> rectangular aluminum bar taped to each tire.  But, that is affected by
the shape
> of the tire.  Without making a jig that attaches to the wheels, how do
you
> helpful folks recommend I do this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Norm
> '59 Turner
Click to consolidate debt and lower month expenses.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2PBHhF8gumquHVogesIVL4so0w4NndolbNZRjr8e3A9KB61/