Re: [Mgs] OT : Tesla - in the flesh!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OT : Tesla - in the flesh!!
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:06:48 -0600
I'm kind of surprised that his topic has generated so much interest on a
mailing list that is supposed to be about cars that haven't been
manufactured for 27 years. When the original company went out of
business the car got crap for mileage compared with todays cars, and
worse for performance.

On the subject of pollution, I believe it's still true (please someone
correct me on this if I'm wrong) that, over a ten year life span, 80% of
the pollution that is produced by an automobile is during manufacture.
I'm sure that's changed since I checked it last.

The reason I bought my first MGB was because my wife and I had to get a
second car to support driving our twelve year old son around to his
engagements and we figured with the money we had available we had better
get something that would give a little back for the headaches we would
inherit from  the original owners.

I have been driving a B (which has been referred  to as agricultural
technology) as primary transportation for fifteen years. I am willing to
do the maintenance needed to keep it running. I have to in order to get
to work. Electric cars are an old idea and the reason they failed in the
1800's is the same reason they are failing today. They aren't as totally
efficient as internal combustion cars and they are easier to maintain by
oneself. The internal combustion engine holds the marketplace and will
until either the rocket surgeons find a way to make the battery cheaper
and more dependable or the government mandates that all of the cars that
we love and cherish will be consigned to the dustbin of history.