Re: [Mgs] Wot, no MG?

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Wot, no MG?
From: Richard Gosling <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:55:59 +0000
Cool!!

I was a little concerned about "Swift Avenue" - surely they wouldn't have
named a street after the Suzuki Swift.  Wikipedia put me right - apparently
there was a car company in Coventry (where else??) called Swift from
1900-31.  I'd never heard of them before!

Maybe MG was rejected because they thought an acronym wouldn't work as a
street name, they wanted something that was more like a word.  But that
wouldn't explain the absence of Jaguar (amongst others).  Maybe the criteria
was pre-war brands - Jag wasn't called Jag 'til after the war.  But Rolls
Royce is still missing...

Wonder if house prices are higher on Bentley Avenue than Hillman Avenue?  I
know which I'd rather live on...

Richard