[Mgs] New MG experience

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] New MG experience
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:41:33 -0700
I was driving my B westbound on the Dumbarton Bridge, into a stiffish
headwind, when a snakelike object suddenly appeared and tangled itself in
the wiper arm and wing mirror, thrashing about wildly.

It was the bonnet-to-cowl seal. Basically a weathered strip of foam, about
1/2 x 1/4 inch, from which the adhesive had long ago dried up, apparently.
Blew right out the gap.

I merely lowered the window, reached out and retrieved it, tossing it into
the passenger seat.

I suppose this can only happen when the bonnet fits particularly poorly
(check), the seal is poorly adhered (check), and the apparent windspeed is
high (60mph into a 30kt headwind -- check). A contibuting factor may have
been that I currently have no grille installed; I removed it while I was
playing with the cam, and was dithering whether I should reinstall it or try
to fit the new-in-box replacement that I have been hoarding for a decade.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149