[Mgs] Thermostats and overheating - 80B

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Mgs] Thermostats and overheating - 80B
From: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 23:36:12 -0400
All,

    My 80B is running too warm. It used to run one needle
width to the left of center no matter what the outside
temperature.  It now runs 1 - 2 needles to the right of
center, and the fans come on when moving at 20 MPH or less.
It is hot.

   My first thought  was coolant level.  I checked and it
seemed to be at the right level both in the cylinder head
at the thermostat housing, and at the overflow container.
 So my second thought is the thermostat.   180 degrees is
standard.  Is there any harm in going to the 160 degree
thermostat ?  I do use the car in the cooler fall months.

   My other thoughts for overheating (if the thermostat
does not cure the problem) is a clogged radiator,
and perhaps a water pump problem ?  I seem to remember that
the water pumps can "partially" fail with the impellers
breaking off, and/or wearing such that the move less water.
 Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Thanks in advance,

   Gene

80 B
http://www.nni.com/