Re: [Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?
From: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:20:37 -0400
I never understood the need for an overflow bottle. If you read the
owner/shop manual on any "pre-overflow-bottle" car, you will discover that
the radiator itself has a fill line or at least a spec about the fill level.
In other words the very top of the radiator is supposed to be empty. The top
of the radiator itself is the "overflow bottle".

Perhaps too many people were blindly filling their radiators to the very
top. The government decided to put the fill line "in your face" with the
overflow bottle. Of course you can still fill the overflow bottle to the
top. Then you need an overflow bottle for the overflow bottle ;-)

I bet the auto makers are just thrilled about the overflow bottle
requirement. They really needed something to fill the vast void under the
hood of the modern car ;-)

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@comcast.net
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639