[Mgs] clutch?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] clutch?
From: rabeys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:59:37 -0400
I took a long road trip recently and noticed I was having difficulty
downshifting to 3rd...even if I double clutched.? I noticed that there was
substantial shaking in the gear shift.? So bad that if you grabbed onto it and
held it tight, it felt like it was shaking your whole body.? Bad enough that
the vibration caused part of the heat shield for my carbs to break off.? When I
stopped to see what fell off the car...again, I was unable to shift the car
into gear after I started her.?

If the car is off, I can shift into any gear whether or not the clutch is in or
out.? If the car is running and I started it in neutral, I am unable to get it
into any gear...clutch depressed of course.? If I stop the car, and put her in
2nd, I am able to start her and drive in 2nd...however, if I attempt to shift
while driving, I am only able to put her in neutral and then I am unable to get
her back into 2nd.?

The last time I had tranny work done was in 2006.? In looking at the receipt,
it doesnt look like clutch work was done at the same time.? Does this sound
like a clutch issue?? Throw out bearing?? Thinking and hoping it is not the
tranny again.

Appreciate any help...Stephanie