Re: [Mgs] Tires (or lack of same)

To: mg List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Tires (or lack of same)
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 01:27:08 +0930
Paul Hunt wrote:
> That's about it, although judging by the sequence of stills all four
> were locked-up.  More run-off than on a public road though :o)
>
> Hope it isn't as cloudy as that when we get there next Feb ...

Yes, there was LOTS of tyre smoke so the fronts locked - but it was the
rears locking which threw me off the track.

Cloudy?  Don't worry - out that way (wheat and sheep area) they don't
get much rain.  Anyway, we race during Winter and February ain't Winter.
  Even in Winter we rarely get wet tracks.

> Wasn't that just after you put disc brakes in back but the bias wasn't right?

Mate I have a few videos of me doing similar silly stuff at that corner.
  The worst was when I had NO adjustable brake bias and had just
installed the rear discs.  Now THAT was full rears locking up (like
pulling the handbrake on) at just under 100mph.

In that video I just outbraked myself. As you can see from the photos I
had an Alfa right on my rear bumper.  My engine wasn't performing well
and in the heat of the moment I thought the only way to get any sort of
a gap on him was to... BRAKE LATER THAN HIM.

He would have seen the smoke and grinned (well, he might have initially
muttered a rude word as he concentrated on missing me).

So yes, rear brake lockups can have an unpredictable affect on the
handling of the car at speed.

In the middle (for 6 months) of building my new, bigger, better and
faster engine I have just purchased a new set of front brakes of another
racer's car.  4 pot Rover calipers, vented rotors.  If that doesn't stop
me NOTHING will.

Eric