Re: [Mgs] Triumph content - delete now if offended

To: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Triumph content - delete now if offended
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:09:42 -0700
I have a lot of sympathy for this. My first car was a Citroen and it
suffered from occasional fuel starvation problems.

Eventually, I tracked it down to a piece of the fuel filter that had
broken off and was floating in the carburettor. Occasionally, this
piece of plastic would float to somewhere that it would block one of
the jets, leading to fuel starvation. Since the piece of plastic was
transparent, it took me a while to find and remove it!

Simon

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Rick Lindsay<rolindsay@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
>   Just a bit of history; The car was parked 10+ years ago
> because it had become unreliable.  Multiple trips to the
> mechanic had produced no relief.  The problem appeared to be
> fuel starvation but all components tested good.  A few days ago
> I found the problem.  While rebuilding the fuel system, I
> decided to rebuild the mechanical fuel pump.  When I opened the
> pump, one of the two screws that retain the pump-valves was just
> laying on the diaphragm!  The other screw was still in place
> but was loose.  In short, the valves were not being held against
> their gaskets and were therefore leaking.  Any time larger fuel requirements
were put on the pump, it would under-supply.