Re: [Mgs] Hood Louvers

To: MGS LIST <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Hood Louvers
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:04:16 -0500
Rod Williams wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2009, at 6:21 AM, Matthew Milkevitch wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ever installed hood louvers in their MGB..
>
> I sold a 1966 'B to a guy who did a lot of customization to the car
> including punching louvers into the alloy bonnet. Although they looked
> *really* nice, he later told me that they didn't do a whole lot to
> lower the air temp. He experimented by taping small tufts of yarn at
> different points on the louvers and then driving at various speeds,
> and discovered that the last two louvers nearest the cowl actually
> pulled air in rather than providing an exit for air. He had 8 or so
> (can't remember) louvers stamped on each side near the outside edge of
> the back of the bonnet, perhaps 8 or 10 inches from the cowl. Sort of
> like on a Jaguar E-Type. He had them done by a local custom shop with
> a louver punch and they did a very nice job. Perhaps the location of
> the louvers would make more of a difference, but how would you
> experiment? My old XKE had the louver patches on the bonnet and it
> seemed that heat came roaring out of them. (especially the time the
> electric radiator fan died!)
My racing Mini had heat problems. It was an older model with a small radiator.
I added louvres to the front of the bonnet right in front of the radiator to
pull more air in and it made a significant few degrees difference.

The louvres are visible in this picture: http://www.rockyfrisco.com/MiniHW2.jpg

-The Roxter