Re: [Mgs] MGB Windscreen

To: fogbro1@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB Windscreen
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:51:05 -0400
Hi Ed,
   There are several formulae for calculating necessary time for a task
compared to expected time for a task.  Your 9-1 sounds good, well
grounded on experience.
    The wiper motors are reasonably strong. Over time, friction builds up
in the hardened grease in the gearbox, hardened grease in the cable, and
binding of the shafts in the wheel boxes.  These are probably worth
seeing to unless you know they have been removed & cleaned in
not-too-distant past.
    I had draggy, slow wipers. Cleaned up the motor-no improvement.
Cleaned up the push-pull cable-slight improvement, but they were still
slow.
    Finally addressed the wheelboxes, which I should have done initially.
When the cable was free of the wheelbox, the shaft would barely turn with
small pliers. I used penetrating oil, then motor oil, and they worked
better, though not easily.  With the chrome cover removed, I then drilled
a small hole in the threaded part, put oil in the hole then forced in
light grease with a needle-tip greaser, and it made all the difference.
Wipers run so fast that some have asked if the car were wired for 14
volts.
Bob

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:17:43 -0400 "Ed Woods" <fogbro1@comcast.net>
writes:
> Bob,
>
> Don't you think that the windscreens were installed after the body
> was painted and before any of the interior? Without the dash, wiring,
> etc., it would be an easy task.
>
> New back up light lenses and brake switch yesterday. New Lucas
> lenses used  larger screws (#8 rather than the originals which appeared
to be
> #6), so I  had to retap the captive nuts. The brake switch had unusable

> connectors and  wires a foot too long, so they had to be cut and new,
correct
> terminals  soldered on. Every 10 minute job take an hour and a half!
>
> New wiper arms and blades today. I hope that the old motor has the
> torque to move them. A replacement wiper motor is on hand in case it
doesn't.

> Thanks for all your encouragement and assistance.
>
> Best,
>
> Ed
Store more data on a reliable tape drive. Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTEqwhAljvkhVrjJ0T3fQn9hVKI3TFEtcDnSeu5b2fMcO8zqS01hlu/