Re: [Mgs] Hood Louvers: Motivation for the Question

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>,mmilkevitch@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Hood Louvers: Motivation for the Question
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:45:49 -0400
When I built my MGB GT V8 I wanted quiet so I made my own insulating
stuff which was much cheaper than Dynamat and better.  Two aluminium
foils, two layers of bitumastic sandwiching a layer of dense close
cell automotive foam.  Heat and sound are at bay in my cockpit - not
that I cannot hear anything but it does make one h*** of a
difference.  I used it in the gearbox housing, floors, roof,  doors
(they sound like RR doors), all places in the cockpit (made carpet
fitting a pain), on top of fuel tank - in fact everywhere.  Go look
at www.britcot.com - it's there

At 01:45 PM 7/27/2009, Bob Howard wrote:
>Matt,
>    Paul Hunt's observations mirror mine. Cooler temps in the UK probably
>offset a bit of the additional heat from his V8, but cabin temps in GTs
>can be oppressive. I have used padding and foil on floors, under seats
>and on the tunnel, all of which seem to have helped with heat (certainly
>have helped with sound).  Even the plastic under-dash panels seem to have
>helped a bit.
>    Regardless of insulation efforts, one must plug all holes in the
>firewall and seal around all penetrations. Little air leaks admit a
>surprisingly large amount of hot air.
>    Austin-Healey owners use a heat shield on firewall and in gearbox
>area. I have not seen them installed on an MGB, but they say that heat
>shields work well for them, and might be something to experiment with.
>Bob
>

>On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:34:08 -0700 (PDT) Matthew Milkevitch
><mmilkevitch@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Fellow MGers;
> > I wanted to inform those interested list members about the
> > motivation behind my question on hood louvers.  At present, my '74
>MGB-GT has no
> > cooling problems.  However, one issue I've always had with my GT is
>high
> > cabin temperatures in the summer. I suspect this is due to excess
>engine
> > heat being "dumped" into the cabin (the cabin acting like a little like
>a heat
>Click here for free info on Graduate Degrees.
>http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTKKsqZAWncKtGQkhLmy75zLhOaNcQpcMnsby2WTXDENPRc3O2Q9yQ/
>
>http://www.team.net/archive

Regards

Barrie