Re: [Mgs] Excessive Voltage?

To: Daybell7@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Excessive Voltage?
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 20:11:17 -0700
A battery has an internal resistance of about .2V per cell that means to
fully charge one cell of a battery to 2.12V will require 2.32V to do it
(approx)
In a 12 V system there are six battery cells giving a fully charged battery
6 X 2.12 = 12.72V  The .2V additional X  6 = 1.2V
12.72 + 1.2 = 13.92V
If your system is running at 12.6 you had better fix it, or you will be in
Rebok mode soon.

About the 11V you are measuring.  It probably isn't 11VDC  a coil generates
about 100-300V AC on the positive low voltage terminal from the magnetic
field collapsing when the points open.  This is the primary trace that
mechanics used see on a diagnostic o-scope.  Your meter is probably confused
by all the AC voltage.  This voltage is normal.
If you doubt this feel free to touch the + low voltage terminal with the
engine running.  But don't say I didn't warn you.
hope this helps
Rick