Re: [Mgs] Spring Shapng

To: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Spring Shapng
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:03:35 +0100
And the crucial phrase?  "the professional will check the shop manual specs
and make some measurements to help him determine the proper arch".  Whilst the
Workshop Manual contains size and loading information it all depends on the
'springiness' of the steel as to what free arch you need to get the correct
loaded ride-height.  I have my doubts as to how long cold bending will be
effective, heating and retempering maybe, but even that depends on how the
crystalline structure of the steel may have changed in the intervening 30 or
so years.