Re: [Mgs] Beware Heritage Trust Manuals on CD

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Beware Heritage Trust Manuals on CD
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:34:11 -0600
Max is correct on this. Now I'm not sure how the Heritage Trust Manual
CD is set up but I do have the Landrover Rave CD (actually two of them)
which may be similar. They both work on my Vista 64 bit machine just
fine but the setup is a bit strange. The CD has to run on its own
executable (rave.exe) which uses an archaic version of Adobe Acrobat
(version 4) to display the workshop manual, owner handbook, and other
documents. When I try to view the pdf files off the CD they will not
work with the Adobe reader installed on my computer - says I need to go
to Adobe's site to get a plugin which Adobe says is "not available". So
everything has to run off the CD. The problem may be on how the computer
runs "autoplay" on the CD but that's just speculation. Most of these
type of programs/CDs are going to either html or pdf based files though
which should make them compatible with most operating systems, barring
various anti-piracy schemes to prevent circulation of the files
themselves.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B