[Mgs] Replacing Brake pads on an MGA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Replacing Brake pads on an MGA
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 23:31:06 -0500
You might want to take some careful measurements of the pad thickness. A
close friend of mine got some Classic Gold pads from Moss recently for
his TR4 that turned out to be too thick and not ground parallel and
wound up putting them on the belt sander to get them to fit. He does
like the feel of them, but getting them to fit was not watching daisies
in the outfield.

That said, any general purpose c-clamp should be sufficient to compress
the pistons into the calipers far enough to fit the pads in. Start with
a large flat blade screwdriver with the pads in place to get the pistons
far enough apart to fit the c-clamp in. Bear in mind that as you
compress the pistons the fluid will back up into the master cylinder and
you need to keep an eye on the reservoir level and be prepared to remove
fluid from the MC as it builds up. I use turkey basters that I can
usually find in the kitchen drawers since my wife courteously replaces
them from time to time. A wrap of electrical tape around the joint
between the bulb and the tube shuts off the airflow to avoid bubbles and
also lets my wife know that she shouldn't use that one on a turkey.
Twenty years with one girl has a lot to be said for it.

Glenn

--
Be careful when you deal with old hippies. They can be real touchy.

        - Ferris Bueller