Re: [Mgs] (no subject) let's call it Ignition Trouble

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] (no subject) let's call it Ignition Trouble
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:35:42 -0500
Tom has a good point. I've had two ignition switches fail on me and both
of them puzzled the dickens out of me. Check that you're getting full
voltage from the starter back to the ignition switch output to the
solenoid. Chances are you'll find a zero reading turn to 12v at some
point. You may get lucky and find it's one of the Lucar connectors. If
that's it, I've found that a .17 or .22 gauge (.17 will last longer)
brass barrel brush fits quite nicely to clean out the female side of the
connector and Scotchbrite for the male side.

In fact, one of the switches that didn't work was brand new. I wound up
ripping into one of the old ones and cleaning it. It's the one I'm using
now in a different car.

You can't do that on a Lexus.

Glenn

--
Be careful when you deal with old hippies. They can be real touchy.

        - Ferris Bueller