[Mgs] Broken u-joint snap rings

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Broken u-joint snap rings
From: "Robert J. Guinness" <guinness@stclegal.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:40:56 -0500
I am in the process of replacing the prop shaft U-joints on my 1961 MGA
1600.  It appears that the DPO broke the ears off of all four snap
rings.  I have tapped the bearing caps in a tad, and the rings freely
rotate in the recess.  But I cannot get them to bend out to grab them.
I have tried a screwdriver and dental picks.  Are there any helpful hints?

It is the front joint and does not seem to have any free play, but it is
a "sealed joint" (no zerk fitting) and the rear joint was nackered
beyond belief (the vibration tipped me off).  I would like to replace it
now while the shaft is out.  Is it better to leave it "as is" given the
difficulty in removing the broken snap rings?  Thanks
--
Robert Guinness