Re: [Mgs] LH overdrive trivia

To: Ed Woods <fogbro1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] LH overdrive trivia
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:38:16 -0500
When the O'drive solenoid is working correctly you can hear a click as
it pulls in.  I've had my O'drive solenoid apart in order to replace the
stranded wire that sticks out of it..  There are hundreds of turns of ~
#26 solid wire that make up the solenoid.  The stranded wire that you
see on the outside is simply soldered to the end of the solid solenoid
wire.  I don't remember how the other end is connected to the housing.
You might want to check those internal connections.

I don't know what you're using for a power supply on the bench but  I'd
use a topped up 12 volt battery capable of supplying several amps.  I
would suggest you put the solenoid back in the o'drive and connect it
directly to the battery, bypassing the switches.  Depending on the year
of the car, there are at least two switches between the battery and the
solenoid, in normal operation.  Dirty or burned switch contacts can
limit the current to the solenoid.  I had one o'drive that was
intermittent because the 2-3 gear switch wasn't adjusted properly.

  CR