Re: [Mgs] too rich or too lean?

Subject: Re: [Mgs] too rich or too lean?
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:54:48 -0700
On Oct 26, 2009, at 8:32 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:

> One white plug does indicate a leak to that cylinder somehow,
> although as cylinders are paired that's not strictly logical, unless
> it is on the No.1 side of the gasket which would affect No.1 more.
> However vacuum leaks usually tend to be 'stable', not come and go
> like electrical problems.  The HT tests are really only valid if you
> can reproduce the problem with a timing light connected.  You say it
> only happens at speeds over 45, but engines are usually rev affected
> not speed affected.  If it happens at 45 in top, how about the same
> revs in 3rd?  And 45 in 3rd as opposed to 4th?

I finally got the combination of a little time and decent weather.
Despite being a bad idea, I changed only the mixture, making it a
quarter turn richer in both carbs.

I finally got out tonight after making the change and went for about a
20 minute drive just to test things.

I still managed to get a small stutter at about 4K rpm in 3rd (around
50mph).  In 3rd-OD at the same revs (60mph) and 4th @ 70mph, she ran
pretty smooth.  Of course, if you recall, my problem was worse when it
was cold.. it was about 50 when I went out tonight.

I had zero problems at 60 mph in the normal gears you'd be using at
that speed and don't recall any problems driving 50mph in 4th nor 45
in 3-od.  I'll have to go out again when it gets colder.

I'm still not ready to rule out fire or "bad gas", but certainly the
car is behaving better tonight.  She pulled from 35 to 60 in 3rd
better than I remember in the past too.

My fuel economy is rotten, but that's not a tuning issue.  The blame
can be place squarely on the nut behind the wheel (I admit it,
watching the needles move across the gauges is fun).