[Mgs] 64B restoration

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Mgs] 64B restoration
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:33:33 -0700
I am well underway into my winter project - a restoration of a 64 MGB
that I picked up in Portland, Oregon in September. I wasn't expecting to
start until winter which so far hasn't  happened outside of one week in
October.

Anyway, before I removed the master cylinders today, I took some
pictures. I have them posted on a webpage with a few questions and
comments at:

http://karamursel.org/mg/64B.htm

The first picture shows the wire wheel dilemma. The car is halfway into
a conversion that the owner probably started when he parked the car its
last time sometime in the mid 1980s. This is a lower priority item since
its more cosmetic but I'll have to determine whether I should go back to
disc wheels or go to wire wheels. How hard is it to use the axles
provided (once I get the rust cleaned off and remove the knock offs that
is)? I am also concerned about the tire rubbing that I have heard occurs
with ww conversions. Is this a problem with 175s?

My son thinks the knock offs are a special, scarcer type but I'm not
sure. They appear to be a different metal or they could have been
electroplated. Any one seen anything like this?

Pictures of rust - not too serious overall although the driver floor
board will need patching. It could be worse - my 65B that I bought in
1975 was in worse shape (and only ten years old) and I had to rivet in
sheet metal so I could get it to pass state inspection (plus to keep my
leg dry when driving in heavy snow).

Check the pictures out and if you know the answers to my questions let
me know. I hope to have the car back on the road by spring. I've already
rotated the engine a few revolutions to make sure it wasn't frozen, have
cleaned and reinstalled the fuel tank, and replaced a broken rear shock,
and removed the rusted out exhaust. So I still need to replace the
exhaust, rebuild the hydraulics, replace carbs (replacing Weber DCOE
with SUs), patch floor, redo seats, replace steering gaiters, and
whatever else I uncover in the initial restoration.

David Councill

64 MGB

67 MGBGT

72 MGB