Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] 64B restoration

To: dcouncill@msubillings.edu
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [MG-MGB] 64B restoration
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:43:47 -0500
David,
    I believe you could substitute the later, Salisbury, axle in place of
the earlier banjo-type axle if it's wire wheels that you are after.
There are more of the Salisbury type to be found.
    If you do that, clean out and go over the rear axle before
installation.  Thrust washers are usually worn out by 75M miles, seals
can be worn, pinion immersion depth might need to be checked, etc.  With
axle on the workbench, replacement of bearings & seals, etc, is easy.
Bob

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:32:16 -0700 "Councill, David"
<dcouncill@msubillings.edu> writes:
> Thanks Paul, this was what I was looking for. Since the PO provided
> the
> hubs/half-axles I thought they were all necessary in the process. I
> don't like the idea of the rubbing so I'll either try to find a ww
> rear
> axle or just convert the front back to disc. It is something I
> won't
> worry about until next spring so I can just keep a look to see what
> might come up for sale along those lines in the next half year. I
> have
> heard the banjo rear axles are hard to find these days so I may end
> up
> going disc, probably be quite a bit cheaper anyway if not as cool
> looking.
>
> David

Free College Information
Connect to the online college that best fits your needs.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=Vnn--aRAKSlHA8uXgowlSwAAJ1CFcZuYg3ZrSi-zVv-uUL-FAAQAAAAFAAAAAGiRrT4AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJWaQAAAAA=