Re: [Mgs] Great MG Christmas Picture

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Great MG Christmas Picture
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:49:32 -0800 (PST)
--- On Tue, 12/22/09, Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@verizon.net> wrote:

> But I really like the Google translation:
>
> Hansa drive also open in winter: Thomas Powl creates his
> very Tannenbaum purchased in the open convertible home.

Babelfish seems to do a little better:

"Hanseaten drive also in the winter openly: Thomas Powl
creates his straight bought fir tree in the open Cabriolet
home."

I guess my closest approximation would be:

"Trade also moves forward openly in winter. Thomas Powl
ships home his newly purchased evergreen tree in an
open convertible."

"Hanseaten" refers to the members of the Hanseatic
League, which was a federation of ports and shipping
companies in the 1700s and 1800s (ergo "shipping"
the tree).  The whole caption is rather cleverly
worded in a way that doesn't make direct translation
possible.