[Mgs] What year and B engine series

To: "mgs@autox.team.net List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] What year and B engine series
From: "W. David Houser" <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:53:44 -0500
Listers,
Got a rescued B engine that I am rebuilding. Don't know what year car
it came from. It's a 68> as it doesn't match my 67 BGT engine. No
carbs came with it. No intake manifold. No engine plate numbers on
head. Engine number on side is 12H3248. No dipstick. Some clues: Head
on it says 12H2389, AFI. Date stamp on head says 4-21-70 in a circle.
( Has it been swapped a some point? No idea) Also, it has blocked air
injection ports, of course. Water pump has a bracket that might have
attached air pump. Looks like item # 13 P. 16 in Moss catalog. There
is a bracket on the side of the block by the distributor that holds a
round oil pressure switch? Valve cover has a vent valve on rear that
was smashed but looks like it went to the side not back. MG decal
only. Inverted oil canister. Flywheel/Ring gear measures 12.75
overall, flywheel is 11.5. Dipstick shape is 3-1/4" and from what I
gather from www.mgamgb.com is found on all 18GF, GH, GK engines only.
So what am I?
Let me know if you need more info.
Cheers,