[Mgs] clutch cylinder rebuild

To: "MG Digest (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Mgs] clutch cylinder rebuild
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:03:54 -0700
I disassembled both clutch and brake master cylinders for my 64B (nice
indoor activity while a snow storm continues, already 10+ inches since
yesterday). Both seem identical in all the internal components. When I
checked my spare parts for the rebuild kits, though, there is a
significant difference - the clutch kit has two ring seals rather than a
ring seal and a cup seal. So I checked the trusty Moss catalog and it
indicates two options for the clutch master cylinder - the one I have
that is missing the cup seal and another one that apparently replaces
the piston "with cup seal to later spec. with ring seals" at a much
greater cost of course (no option for the old style listed). So my very
technical question - were the older piston/seals the same on both master
cylinders as it looks to me on visual inspection. Or do I need to
convert the piston in the clutch master cylinder?

David Councill

64 B

67 BGT

72 B