Re: [Mgs] weber or not

To: "'Tom Gunderson'" <thgun@comporium.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] weber or not
From: "Michael Singleton" <mike@sportscarslimited.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:37:30 -0800
In addition to many of the other suggestions I would add a couple:
1 What condition were the carbs in when you took them out of the box or when
you acquired them originally? If they were dirty and generally grungy on the
outside, then usually they are similar inside. Just cleaning them with some
spray carb cleaner will help, but is not a substitute for dismantling and
thouroughly going through the carbs.

2 Hold the throttle in semi open position and try to wiggle the end of the
throttle shaft from side to side. The max it should move is .010" or less,
anything more indicates that the shaft or bushes are worn way too much. This
wear will allow air to enter and will make adjustment nearly impossible. To
make the car idle requires the carbs to be set at nearly full rich, and then
it won't rev because it is way too rich at full throttle.

A complete carb rebuild in our shop costs about $350, including new throttle
shafts and bushes. I believe that others charge about the same. If you
choose to have the carbs rebuilt, make sure that they do the throttle shaft
bushings, or measure to be certain that there is little wear in the bushes.
Sometimes the shafts will wear and not the bushes. Unfortunately, that is
not usually the case on MGA's.

Michael Singleton
Sportscars Ltd
10170 Croydon Way