[Mgs] Fuel pump

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Fuel pump
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:35:45 -0800
Well, I tore into my fuel pump today, and it didn't seem anything was
drastically amiss. Both points showed some signs of burning, but it cleaned
up in a jiffy. Pursuant to Barney's suggestion, I examined the geometry of
the components carefully, and I have to say that the brass parts almost look
like they were bent to shape by hand without benefit of a jig or template --
nothing was precisely orthogonal.  I compared it to my old pump, and decided
to use my needlenose pliers to square up the points a bit. I don't know if
that had any effect, but when I jumped it to a battery, it ran strong and
continuously. So I reinstalled the pump and went on a test drive, about 12
or 14 miles including city and freeway. So far so good.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149