Re: [Mgs] MGA

To: Weberstevej@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 23:50:41 -0600
1. Early pruduction 4 PSI pressure cap was superceded by the 7 PSI
pressure cap.  That means earlier cars should be changed to 7 PSI
whenever the cap needs to be replaced (or immediately if the 4 PSI
cap causes problems).

2. Horn is mounted on a bracket on inboard side of the front frame
extension below the body air pan.

3. Valve cover must be vented for proper crankcase ventillation.  All
MGA and early MGB thru early 1964 had a 1/2" hose connection from
front air cleaner to valve cover, and a 1/2" draft pipe on the front
tappet cover.  If you buy a valve cover with no vent you need to add one.

When the cars got PCV (Positive Cranckcase Ventillation) with vacuum
in the crankcase in mid 1964, they used an oil filler cap with
restrictor vent and internal air filter.  When the cars got fuel
vapor recovery for the 1970 model year they used a 1/2" hose from
carbon cannister to valve cover with a restrictor orifice at entry to
the valve cover.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com