Re: [Mgs] How hot should my MG-B ?

To: eugeneb@nni.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] How hot should my MG-B ?
From: MGBOB <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:55:05 -0500
Gene,
   It seems hot to me, especially at 40 degree temps.
   I have one of the IR thermometers also; my readings in 60 degree temps
were 185F at the radiator of my '72 MGB amd 70C of my TD. I forget what
the F equivalent of 70 is, but it's a 70 degree 'stat.  These were test
drives of five miles or so, not hard driving.  Both of these readings
with the IR thermometer were consistent with previous readings done with
liquid thermometer in the radiator tank. 190 on the MGB gauge is directly
on the right leg of  N, and 70 degrees of the IR, liquid thermometer and
ether-bulb temp gauge all agreed.
  On hot days the rad temp will be higher. The 'stat opens at its rated
temp, give or take a few degrees, but 200 seems excessive to me if all
you did for the test was warm it in  the driveway or drive gently around
town.
   Do you know if the antifreeze has been changed every few years?  The
AF chemistry does not wear out but corrosion inhibiters do weaken, and
ofttimes it is sediment from corrosion that blocks passages.
Bob

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:18:04 -0500 "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
writes:
> All,
>
>    The (relatively) mild weather here in the north east has
> me starting to think about getting the car ready for the
> spring.
>
>     Late last summer and in to the fall, I was chasing an
> overheating problem that was either caused by or did cause
> a crack in the head around the #2 spark plug.
>
>     In any event, the new head is on along with new water
> pump, hoses, and  160 degree thermostat.  The radiator
> remained as it seemed to be flowing OK.
>
>     My question to the group is:  how hot should my 1980
> MGB  be ?  During a cool day (40's), I ran the car until it
> warmed up and the fan started to cycle.   I received one of
> the Moss IR hand held thermometers for Christmas, and used
> it to measured the temp of the top of the radiator. The
> radiator was 200 degrees +/- near where the water enters.
>   Is this normal with a 160 degree thermostat ?
>
> Gene
>
> 80 B

Weight Loss Program
Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!