Re: [Mgs] Off Topic - ODB II readers

To: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Off Topic - ODB II readers
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:03:35 -0700
Is there a question here? I think you are asking about ODBII readers.
Although limited in what codes they can read, I find them to be a
valuable tool if you own a newer car and they are inexpensive. I bought
a Harbor Freight middle of the line reader (about $65 USD) when my 2001
Land Rover had a check engine light. I had to look the code up on the
Internet and it translated to a "massive EGR leak" which further
translated to "loose gas cap". Since then, I have used it on two other
cars to reset the light and retrieve the codes. The code may still be in
your car's computer which means the reader may tell you the problem
(maybe oxygen sensor?).

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT