Re: [Mgs] MGB maintenance after 3+ years not driving?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB maintenance after 3+ years not driving?
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:37:14 -0700
All the replies were good advice, but don't despair if you don't feel
inclined to tackle some of the more cumbersome measures.

A few years ago, my father acquired a 1955 Chrysler Imperial that had been
stored since 1974. He pumped up the tires, added fresh gas, installed a new
battery, fired it up and drove it home. Obviously, for long-term use more
maintenance would be required. But I feel it is easier to maintain
enthusiasm about a project when said project is actually mobile.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149 [mobile project since 1988]

on 3/31/10 7:46 AM, Mark Wise at markwisenc@gmail.com wrote:

> As I mentioned in a previous post, I am going to try to get my 1980 MGB
> back on the road after a long hiatus.  Due to changes in family, work,
> etc. the poor car has only been driven once in the past several years.
> Now my two young boys ask me daily when they'll get to "ride in the
> green car".  Sadly, neither have ever seen it on the road.
>
> In two weeks, my Dad will be flying out to help me work on the car.  We
> will be installing a Crane XR700 ignition, as the first step.  The
> ignition was always a problem with that car.  Assuming that the new
> ignition will actually get the car running, does anyone have suggestions
> for some other maintenance to-do's that I should plan on doing with the
> car before I take it on the road?  We'll definitely be changing the oil
> and filter.   Anything else?
>
> Thanks for you help!

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html