Re: [Mgs] Foam for door cap rebuild

To: dbg.lists@gmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Foam for door cap rebuild
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:20:22 EDT
In a message dated 4/7/2010 8:10:21 A.M. Pacific  Daylight Time,
_dbg.lists@gmail.com_ (mailto:dbg.lists@gmail.com)   writes:
My daughter just bought her first car - a 1971 MGB-GT.   The driver's
side door cap was in terrible condition.  Upon  removal, the foam
disintegrated.  From my '66B rebuild, I  remember that this was a very
dense formed foam pad.  Although  Moss sells a complete cap for $150,
they do not sell just the  padding.  So my problem now is finding some
suitable foam to  rebuild the cap.

Any idea's out there?
---------------------oOo---------------------------
Yes,
Just go to a good auto upholstery shop or store. A large part of that  $150
Moss Motors fee is overhead and administrative costs.
Luckily this is one instance where you can just eliminate the middle man. I
 know because I did it on my 1977 MGB roadster. It's really a  no-brainer.
Unscrew the cap strip it being careful not to tear the covering.  Strip off
the old foam from metal frame underneath and spray or apply a good
automotive adhesive on the refurbished metal cap frame and cover the properly
applied adhesion with the foam you chose to replace the old stuff with. Then if

its still usable recover the foam after the adhesive has properly dried with
the  cover material. Or let the upholsterer do it at a fee. Which will
probably  be much less than the Prefabricated parts from Moss.
Moss is the best place to go for parts that can't be fixed or repaired by
the individual as they are a business where the Customers satisfaction come
first, in every respect.
Alberto Escalante.....1977 MGB

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html