Re: [Mgs] '80 MGB: Faulty coil and fuel pump

To: Mark Wise <markwisenc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] '80 MGB: Faulty coil and fuel pump
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:00:48 -0500
Mark Wise wrote:
> I wrote in a couple weeks ago asking about getting my 1980 MGB back on
> the road.  My father is here and we started some trouble shooting this
> morning.
>
> Problem #1: there is no charge coming from the coil to the plugs, but
> there is power going to the coil.  Fortunately, I have an extra coil in
> my "box of parts", so we're going to swap that in and see if that
> addresses that problem.

Make sure the little flexible ground wire, connected between the
distributor body and the base plate is intact.
After enough use, it can break, usually at the spot-weld. Make sure the
points are gapped correctly and the timing is right.
> Problem #2: the fuel pump isn't pumping.  There is power getting to the
> fuel pump.  I'd love to get a new pump sooner than later, to install it
> while I have some help.  Any suggestions for an aftermarket fuel pump
> that I could buy at a local shop (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.) rather than
> wait for mail order?
You can get pumps at mostly any of those sources. It should be under
three pounds maximum pressure. You can use a higher pressure pump along
with a pressure limiter, but I have found that causes the pumps to fail
sooner. Personally, I prefer the beercan shaped pumps over the cubical
ones. I like the ones with a two-year guarantee. (Keep the papers in a
safe place where you can find them if it fails).

-Rocky Frisco
--

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html